Our attorneys work closely with businesses in all areas of the alcoholic beverage and hospitality industries to navigate the complex regulatory framework at both the state and federal level.
Whiteman Osterman & Hanna has extensive experience representing clients in the area of Alcoholic Beverage Law. Our attorneys regularly assist businesses across a variety of industries in all matters relating to the New York State Liquor Authority (SLA) and Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), including but not limited to:
- New York State and Federal Licensing and Compliance
- Defense of Enforcement Investigations and Disciplinary Proceedings
- Navigation of Specific Requirements for Craft Beverage Manufacturers
- Formula and COLA Approvals; Brand Label Registrations
- Purchase, Transfer or Sale of Licensed Businesses
- Third-Party Provider, Management, and Consulting Agreements
Our clients include a variety of national, regional and local businesses, including grocery stores, liquor stores, hotels, bars, restaurants, racetracks, casinos, movie theaters, golf courses, vessels, breweries, distilleries, wineries, including craft beverage manufacturers, wholesalers and more.
We appreciate that beverage alcohol regulation is uniquely complex. Our goal is not only to assist our clients with the licensing process, but also to help them understand the implications of holding a license, and the requirements and standards they will be subject to as licensees in order to maintain compliance with their state and/or federal licenses and permits.
- Determining the correct type of license based on the proposed business
- What and who must be disclosed as part of a license application
- Navigating community board/municipality review
- Whether any other licenses or permits are required
- 200 and 500-Foot Law issues
- Obtaining a Temporary Permit
We appreciate that obtaining the license is not the end of the process, and also assist our clients with the ongoing issues and obligations of holding a license, including but not limited to:
- How to address ownership/investor changes
- Transfer/sale of a licensed business
- Alteration of licensed premises
- Enforcement and disciplinary proceedings
The Firm’s multi-disciplinary practice also allows our attorneys to service virtually all of our client’s legal needs. Our representation often includes not only industry-specific representation, but representation in areas common to all businesses, including business formation and corporate governance, labor and employment, land use, tax, real estate, and corporate transactional matters. We strive to provide innovative and customized solutions for each of our clients.
Our alcoholic beverage team is ready to help you navigate the liquor licensing process from start to finish. Contact Us today to learn more about our services. We look forward to working with you.