Our Municipal Practice Group guides municipalities through the complex maze of State and federal laws associated with governing and improving their communities.
We identify the relevant legal requirements and help municipalities achieve their goals in an appropriate, timely and cost-effective manner. The practice is also experienced in helping municipalities to cooperate on a regional basis to solve common problems efficiently.
The attorneys in our Municipal Practice have held local government zoning, planning and legal positions. No matter the scope of the project, we pride ourselves on providing responsive, effective services to our municipal clients.
- Development of comprehensive plans, zoning laws and other land use legislation including local legislation concerning environmental sustainability.
- Redevelopment of contaminated properties under State and federal brownfields programs.
- Siting and review of wind power projects and conventional power plants.
- Litigation involving environmental claims, tax assessment review, employment, construction and other matters.
- Establishment and expansion of sewer, water and other special districts.
- Siting and permitting of solid waste facilities and contracting with private solid waste providers.
- Permitting and enforcement proceedings before local, State and federal agencies in all areas.
- SEQRA review of residential and commercial projects.
- Funding and approval for infrastructure projects such as water and sewage systems including regionalization and public and private partnerships.
- Collective bargaining and employment-related issues.
- Establishment and expansion of Empire Zones.
- Redevelopment of former military bases and State facilities.