Brian E Lawlor
- Download V-Card
One Commerce Plaza
Albany, NY 12260
Brian E Lawlor
Brian Lawlor’s practice focuses on affordable housing and housing finance to which he offers deep industry knowledge and contacts as well as firsthand government experience. He has advised and represented private developers, not for profit organizations, state and local governments across the nation.
- Mr. Lawlor has more than 30 years of successful senior level experience in planning, designing and implementing revitalization and development programs and developments in urban, rural and suburban communities that have created new housing and businesses and have preserved existing housing and businesses. As a chief executive, Mr. Lawlor has led and transformed the operations of large and small organizations in diverse parts of the United States.
- Mr. Lawlor recently represented the Boys & Girls Clubs of Schenectady in the financing of the construction of a $13 million facility to serve the youth of Schenectady. The financing involved New Market Tax Credits, State Community Investment Funds, Bridge Loans and Private donations. He is also working with foundations and not for profits in Schenectady to strengthen existing housing organizations to meet the demand for affordable housing. He has represented other organizations across the State from Plattsburgh to Buffalo to New York City.
- Mr. Lawlor has hands on experience with every major housing and community development program, including Low Income Housing Tax Credit; CDBG; Disaster Recovery CDBG; CDBG 108 loans; HOME; NSP; Weatherization; HOPWA; ESG; Consolidated Plans; Historic and Environmental Reviews; Section 8; Public Housing Redevelopment; and Mortgage Revenue Bonds.
- Previously, Mr. Lawlor was the Commissioner/CEO of all New York State’s housing agencies, collectively known as New York State Homes and Community Renewal. He successfully designed and led the initiative to consolidate all housing finance, development and regulatory agencies and policies under a single management structure in order to align resources and streamline the delivery of housing services and financing throughout the State.
- Prior to being named Commissioner/CEO he served in various senior positions including, Assistant Secretary to the Governor of Housing, General Counsel to the New York State Housing Trust Fund Corporation and Executive Deputy Commissioner for the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal.
- Mr. Lawlor served as the City of New Orleans’ Director of Housing Policy and Community Development as a member of the Mayor Mitchell J. Landrieu’s administration. Over a three-year period, he developed housing and community development policies that guided the strategic investment of resources to accomplish the rebuilding and revitalization of neighborhoods throughout the City of New Orleans.
Mr. Lawlor also works with State and Local governments across the country to assist in the development of affordable housing development strategies and implementation plans as well as Disaster Recovery planning and program implementation.
Mr. Lawlor earned a juris doctor degree from New York Law School and a Bachelor of Arts from Hofstra University. He is admitted to practice in New York State, the United States Southern District of New York and the United States Eastern District of New York.