Michelle L. Kennedy
Michelle L. Kennedy
Ms. Kennedy represents municipal, non-profit, and real estate clients in Central New York. She previously served as Lead Paralegal and Paralegal Supervisor in the Antitrust Division’s “Outstanding Scholar Program” at the United States Department of Justice and Summer Law Clerk in the Office of General Counsel at the Central Intelligence Agency.
- General Counsel to municipalities in Otsego and Schoharie counties.
- General Counsel to non-profit entities.
- Represents clients in in tax certiorari, zoning and land use, regulatory enforcement, highway and employment matters.
- Represented Sharon Springs in its negotiations concerning the WalMart Distribution Center’s new Payment In Lieu of Tax (PILOT) Agreement.
- Represented the Town of Milford in the drafting and adoption of the Town’s Comprehensive Plan.
- Represented the Town of Otsego in contract negotiations with the New York State Historical Association (NYSHA) concerning a New York State grant for development in the State’s right of way.
- Counsel responsible for Watershed Enforcement surrounding Otsego Lake under New York State Public Health Law.
- Special Counsel to municipalities and citizen groups in the drafting and adoption of local land use prohibitions on heavy industry challenged and upheld by the New York State Court of Appeals.
- Successfully negotiated Town labor union contracts with Teamsters Union and Civil Service Employees Association, Inc.
- Represented the Town of Otsego in granting “Zoning Immunity” to the Cooperstown Intermodal Transit Project.
- Counsel to the Towns of Otsego and Milford in the revaluation of all properties within the Towns and defense of tax assessment challenges.
- Counsel for the Village of Sharon Springs in the review and regulation of the Imperial Spa Project, a rehabilitation of a prominent, historic bathhouse subject to a one million dollar grant awarded by Empire State Development and PILOT agreement with the Schoharie County Industrial Development Agency.
- Represented grantor in the placement of a Conservation Easement on a 500 acre historic, farm property in Cherry Valley, NY and the subsequent sale of the property to a farming operation.
- Counsel for the Town of Springfield in the permitting of the expansion of Glimmerglass Opera on Otsego Lake.
- Counsel for the Town of Milford in the legal review of the expansion of Springbrook, a not-for-profit organization serving people with developmental disabilities.
- Counsel for the Town of Otsego in the permitting of the expansion of cider mill and agri-tourism site in a historic hamlet.
- Counsel for the Town of Springfield in the permitting of the development of a financial services firm with a focus on the agricultural community in the Glimmerglass Historic District.
New York State Bar
U. S. District Court, N. D. of New York
District of Columbia Bar
State Bar of California
2012 - Certificate of Recognition awarded by the Upper Unadilla Valley Association for advocacy in the preservation of the environment and beauty of Central New York.
2012 - Certificate of Recognition from Middlefield Neighbors and Otsego County Conservation Assocation for excellence in grassroots environmental advocacy.
2003 - Moot Court Board Member, Government Contracts, The George Washington University Law School.
January 2012 - June 2017 President, Board of Trustees, The Brookwood School, Cooperstown, NY
Member, Community Board, Cooperstown, Bank of Cooperstown, a unit of USNY Bank
Pro Bono Counsel, The Angel Network of Cooperstown, Inc.
Kennedy, ML: “The Exercise of Local Control Over Gas Extraction,” Fordham Environmental Law Review, Spring 2011.
Kennedy, ML: “Smith International, Inc. and Schlumberger Ltd Convicted of Criminal Contempt.” Competition Matters (publication of the United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division), April 2000.
Kennedy, ML: “Land Use Issues for Local Communities Confronted with Heavy Industry,” Sponsored by Cornell Cooperative Extension, April 6, 2011 in Cooperstown, NY.
Kennedy, ML: “Land and Road Use Issues for Local Communities Confronted with Heavy Industry,” Sponsored by Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce and Otsego County Conservation Association, April 9, 2011 in Cooperstown, NY.
Kennedy, ML: “Public Private Partnerships and Eminent Domain,” Sponsored by the Village of Sharon Springs, VOA Dinner, May 22, 2013 in Sharon Springs, NY.
The George Washington University Law School, Washington, DC Juris Doctor.
The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA Bachelor of Arts, Majors in English and Government, graduated cum laude.