Christopher W. Meyer
Christopher W. Meyer
Chris leads the Firm’s Privacy, Cybersecurity and Information Management Practice. He helps clients protect information through the full information life cycle, including creation, use, storage and destruction. He represents clients in the education, health care, financial services, IT/MSP, cloud storage, data marketing, alternative currency, mobile device, manufacturing, and energy services industries. His experience includes:
- Drafting contracts involving privacy, cybersecurity, licensing, and IT/MSP outsourcing issues;
- Drafting privacy, cybersecurity, computer use, social media, and other information-related policies;
- Cyber incident response;
- Litigation involving external data breaches, insider data theft, and defamation;
- Cyber insurance coverage analysis and claim disputes;
- Privacy, cybersecurity and data licensing compliance, risk assessments, and due diligence; and
- Information requests involving data covered under international, federal, and state privacy laws.
Chris provides advice on international, federal, and state laws and regulations, and industry self-regulatory guidelines and rules governing privacy, cybersecurity, data, and intellectual property rights, including:
- International: European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), United Kingdom Data Protection Act, German Federal Data Protection Act, Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), and Australian Privacy Act.
- U.S. Federal: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), Red Flags Rule, Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA), Stored Communications Act (SCA), Cable Communications Policy Act (CCPA), Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), CAN-SPAM Act, and Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
- U.S. State: California, Connecticut, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York.
- Self-Regulatory Guidelines: DMA Guidelines, NAI Code of Conduct, and others.
Chris also has experience in corporate, litigation, and regulatory matters involving antitrust, labor and employment, commercial transactions, corporate governance, and government investigations.
Chris is admitted to practice law in New York, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. He also is admitted to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and all Federal district courts in New York.
Chris is active in professional and community organizations. He is Chair of the Albany KnowledgeNet Chapter of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). He also is Chair of the Chamber of Southern Saratoga County, Vice Chair of the Clifton Park-Halfmoon Emergency Corps and a member of the New York State Bar Association Transportation Committee. Chris is the former president of the Clifton Park Baseball League.
Chris received his Juris Doctor degree from the Washington & Lee University School of Law. Chris holds a Master of Arts degree from the State University of New York at Albany and a Bachelor of Arts degree from Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas.
Chris is certified as an information privacy professional for the US and European privacy domains (CIPP/US and CIPP/E) and an information privacy manager (CIPM) by the IAPP.